CONVERSION OF FAITH
The faith of our church is based on the following:
– WE BELIEVE in God eternal, triune, almighty creator, sustainer and ruler of all creation.
– WE BELIEVE in God the Father, the author of creation and salvation.
– WE BELIEVE in Jesus Christ the only Son of God the Father, true God who for the sake of humanity and its salvation, descended from heaven and became flesh; who was conceived by the Holy Spirit and was born by the virgin Mary; who lived on earth and was crucified, died and was buried, who rose from the dead and ascended to heaven where He is seated at the right hand of the Father.
– WE BELIEVE in the Holy Spirit, true God proceeding from the Father and the Son, who convicts the world of sin, righteousness and judgement and leads in all truth.
– WE BELIEVE that the Bible is the word of God, written by men as the Holy Spirit inspired them. We believe that it authoritatively proclaims the will of God and teaches us all that is necessary for salvation.
– WE BELIEVE that all human beings are created in the image of God; due to their sinful rebellion, this image is marred, that all have sinned before God and it is the will of God that all people should receive salvation through faith in Jesus Christ.
– WE BELIEVE in the baptism in the Holy Spirit with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues as promised to all believers. We believe in the manifestation of the gifts and fruit of the Spirit in the life of a Christian. We believe that a Christian should be a disciple of Jesus Christ living a consecrated and holy life.
– WE BELIEVE that Jesus Christ is the Head of the Church which is constituted by the Holy Spirit and consists of born again believers. The Church is responsible for the proclamation and demonstration of the gospel and God’s will to all people. As a charismatic community they fellowship with and edify one another.
– WE BELIEVE that the believer’s baptism, by immersion and the Lord’s Supper are instituted by Jesus Christ to be observed by the Church.
– WE BELIEVE that at the time appointed by God, Jesus Christ will come to take away his Church.
– WE BELIEVE in a day of judgement when Jesus Christ will judge the living and the dead. We believe in the resurrection of the body and eternal life for the righteous and eternal punishment for the wicked. We believe in the new heaven and the new earth where God will reign in glory.
The church acknowledges the following ministries:
– The equipping ministries according to Ephesians 4:1-14.
– The charismatic ministry gifts as described in Romans 12:6-9 and1 Corinthians 12:4-11.
– Elders and deacons (1 Tim.3 and Tit.1).
History of AFM!
In a country humiliated and impoverished by the Anglo-South African War of 1899-1902, a spiritual awakening became evident in 1908. As no existing church welcomed the revival in their ranks, God used John G. Lake and Thomas Hezmalhalch to start a new movement, the AFM in May 1908. Because of the openness to the work of the Holy Spirit and a strong missionary focus, the movement grew with leaps and bounds. Following the trend of the day, the AFM after a few years became racially separated – a condition that was many years later graciously turned around in 1996. Today a vast number of independent ministries and churches trace their roots to the AFM. The AFM today is one of the five largest churches in South Africa.
More in-depth AFM History can be explored at: